Tools of Mass destruction -TV, News channels, Social media, Mobile

Chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken - Warren Buffett


Many people say that they don't get time for the things that they want to do in their life like reading good books, writing some stuff like the blog, explore a new place, there are many more. But i surprise those people that while everyone has the some stuff to do but still the more productive people will always have time for the things that they like to do but the less productive people will always have excuses that they don't have time.


Observe the billionaire Mr. Warren Buffett and Mr. Charlie Munger and see their life style, they have lot of time for the things they like. They read a lot, they write and with this all they do their business of investing. We must learn from them, how to live and how to use the time properly?




What the prof. Sanjay Bakshi(Sanjay Bakshi is a professor at MIT and a renowned value investor) wrote about the Device of mass destruction on his blog:

"Even though I don’t watch TV, my “anti-library” — books I own and desperately want to read but can’t just find the time do it — keeps growing. A while back I realized that the deadliest weapon of mass distraction in my life is my smartphone. With apps like Twitter and Facebook on it, it’s just too tempting to go to them than to reach out for my Kindle where most of my books reside waiting for me… And so I decided to act. I deleted Facebook and Twitter apps from my smartphone. I can still go to them through my browser but I must log in every time. (can’t delete the browser damn!). And because that requires some effort, the time I spend on those apps has dropped by more than 70% On my laptop I use technology to fight technology. I have actively started using this app called Self Control. It’s an absolute boon because it lets you block your own access to distracting websites, your mail servers, or anything else on the Internet. Just set a period to block for, add sites to your blacklist, and click “Start.” Until that timer expires, you will be unable to access those sites–even if you restart your computer or delete the application. For several hours of the day, I block myself from all social media and google news (noise?). Then, I switched off most notifications from my phone. No more sound or vibration when a message (including from dear wife) or a mail arrives and no notification on number of unread messages/mails etc. I also switched off most notifications on my laptop. And I use the do-not-disturb feature on my iPhone which blocks all calls or messages or those from unknown numbers if I want. For my professional work, which requires focus on long term fundamental performance rather than real time stock price movements, I deleted the google finance bookmark from my laptop and deleted all apps on my phone which gave real-time stock prices. Sorry Bloomberg! I love technology and what it can do for me. But I absolutely hate it’s ability to distract me from reading and from my work. The above measures have caused my productivity to increase significantly. Perhaps, they will be of some use to you."




Technology is useful servant but a dangerous master.

Let's calculate the time we waste on TV, Mobile, Social Media, WhatsApp:


We all have 24 hours a day and how we use them it totally depends on us. I am just portraying a rough estimation of our time:




On a rough estimation, we have 2 hrs. left, lets remove one more hour for any other activity, but still we have 1 hour. Now it depends on us, where we are using this 1 hr. of time daily. 


People say, what 1 hr. can impact, let's see the impact of 1 hr.:




The 1hr a day activity will give you 336 hrs. per year. I did not count he weekend and holidays here as you have the entire day to use on these days. If on a rough estimation, if I count the weekend and holidays as well then, the yearly hrs. may cross 500 hrs.

500 hrs. meaning around 21 days in a year.


Let's see how you can use this 21 days in a productive way:





I just saved only 1 hr. per day and I can do whatever i want to do like reading and writing. You can do it in your own way.

I have written one blog post on how the mobile is ruining our life, you can read the post here and how a small change will improve your life in a positive way here.

You can read, how small habit will help you to improve your life , here.

I am not trying to manipulate anyone that don't use mobile, TV, social media but what I am against is the misuse of them. Use them for your benefit. We are all surrounded by useless information and our mind have limitations of consuming knowledge, in search of more knowledge we consume useless information from this device and fill the garbage of our mind attic with useless information. We should keep space for factual knowledge that come from reading good books.

In a long run news will also not help you to improve your life, you can test it, whatever news you are consuming daily, where you are using that, it is impacting your psychology as well throughout the day but we don't think consciously about it.

Consuming and liking picture of others on social media, is it helping you in any way to improve the quality of your life. Why you are giving all your information to the world. Information like where you are now, where you are going by what travel mode you are going, what you are watching, with whom you are watching.... This all are your personal information bro. Do you think people really care of this information, even the people who likes this picture also don't care...? You are just sharing your information to the world who don't care of you. And one question, the more like on you picture, will it bring any award to you...if yes, please share more pictures.

Use the technology for your benefit, not for the owner of the company benefits.
Use the mobile for the actual use and the app in the mobile to make your life easier, not difficult that you always keep saying that i don't have time for the real things in my life.
Watch TV, only for the meaningful use, not anything that is coming on the TV. Understand the TV show is a business to take your time from you and engage you throughout the day to sell some production by ads or any other medium.

Nothing is free in this world, everything has a cost attached. The format of the cost may vary. It may be money, may be time or any other thing.

Time is the most precious asset in this world, you can bring it back on any cost.

Save the time, use it in right way for your benefit.

Let me share the quote from goodreads:

“It's easier for a rich man to ride that camel through the eye of a needle directly into the Kingdom of Heaven, than for some of us to give up our cell phone.”

Keep reading, Keep leering
-Mahesh

No comments:

Post a Comment